catapult magazine

discussion

The death of Christianity

wscott
Nov 14 2002
04:37 pm

Hmmm…interesting.
This thought never entered my head until now:
Maybe it would be a good thing for “Christianity” to “die” in America.

I say this for the following reason…maybe we would be better off if the “Christian culture” of our day didn’t exist. What i mean by this is that the lines between Christian and the world have been blurred. Maybe it isn’t a good thing that Max Lucado books are at Walmart or that you can buy Veggietales almost anywhere. Maybe by trying to become relevant with society at large Christianity has suceeded in becoming invisible and non-meaningful. Luxury and afluence never seem to be helpful to religion in the long run.

The small movements that you are speaking of in Europe, Dan, seem to be authentic byproducts of the death of some of the more traditional means of doing church. I didn’t mean to generalize at the expense of such movements, but I do feel that the statesments of the death of “something” hold some water.

With some careful thought about what I would wish for I would say that I wish some present practices would die and authentic Christianity would remain. Maybe jump-starting isn’t what we need. Maybe we need to have the courage to say no to 2nd rate fakes and money mongers.

I wouldn’t mind being spat upon once in a while, at least then I would know I was doing something worthy of notice.

And yes, Shari, our future indeed falls into the hands of our youth. Oh wait, do I still fit into that category!? Oh no, I’m in a crisis.