catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Spiritual Gifts

Xyrak
Apr 23 2003
10:55 am

Hey Jason,

You may or may not agree with me on this one but thats ok. For background sake, I am a member of the CRC (Christian Reformed Church) and am actually working as a staff member of New Life CRC in Abbotsford BC. For the last number of years since a significant spiritual encounter with God, through prophecy and healing, I have been fascinated with the spiritual gifts. I am a firm believer in them, but that is not to say that I don’t question them when they are used.

New Life fully supports the use of “the gifts” but what I mean by fully is that use of the gifts when used in front of the congregation must have prior approval of the pastor before they are used. For instance if someone has a prophetic word or wants to speak in tongues out of faith in front of the people they must ask permission from the pastor.

It is not an advertised fact that we do accept “the gifts” at New Life (they are used in front of the people once maybe every 3-6 months) and I know far many CRC’s that seem to ignore them. I was blessed by being able to attend a deliverance course and a prophetic ministry course where I learned a lot about the gifts. BUT I was also exposed to a lot of bogus theology and teaching.

The gifts are a catch 22. On one hand they are powerful gifts from God that we are called to use to glorify God and bring people to him. On the other hand when used improperly they can cause division, pride, arrogance, and a lot of grief. Whenever I prepare myself for listening to a prophecy I ask God to simply give me wisdom. More times than not after praying and listening to the word I will immediately reject it outright as being well bogus.

God will give you what you ask for. Ask for Discernment when it comes to the gifts. It is a blessing that God has given me the ability to see through some amazing teachers to what really lies beneath. God has also changed my view of pentacostal churches. Where once I was sceptical and almost angry at their behavior I have grown to accept them as God’s discernment has opened my eyes to their genuine worshippers spirit.

Yet I have to say I have not been completely blameless of this. I have been “slane in the spirit” only to realize after the fact that it was ME who slained myself in the spirit. I wanted God to do it so much and I saw all these other people doing it that I dreampt it up in my head that God was doing it to me. It was not his time. If I had prayed for wisdom and let God work in me more that evening I am sure it would have been more impactful. Yet God taught me in that time to watch and be vigilant. Don’t willfully give in to every spiritual activity. Ask God for wisdom.

Speaking in tongues? When used in front of people must always come with interpretation either from the speaker or from another individual, or it is not edifying to the body. I am a firm believer in this and it is biblical but don’t ask me to quote scripture right now.

Now as far as CRC doctrin goes? People can correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure that the CRC accepts the spiritual gifts. However, I don’t think they put much emphasis on them.

Just my 2 bits.

Hope I make sense.