catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Prayer

Sheri
Nov 20 2002
05:45 pm

Wow, there’s a lot of hello-ing going on in this thread. Hi there, DV—nice to hear your sweet…um, that doesn’t work.

I was just pondering (dangerous, for me) and I came up with a couple thoughts. The first has something to do with DV’s addition, something to do with everything that I’ve learned in…13? 14? 14.5, I think…years of Christian school, and something to do with my own earlier post. I think that prayers (most of the time, at least) should consist of more than just one element. While there are some times when we are so joyful that all we want to do is praise, and some times when all we can do is cry out for help, most of the time, our lives contain a mixture of the two, and our prayers should reflect that. (That was a long, comma-ful sentence.) I don’t think that you necessarily have to follow some formula—I don’t think that God is always all about formulas (though Jesus’ sample prayer gives us helpful guidance so that we know where to start), but…I don’t remember where I was going with that.

My second thought…after my ordeal during this past year (see next *cino issue), I think prayer has become far more real to me. I knew the power of prayer, but I didn’t fully realize its power. Does that make sense? It just seems that prayer is a whole lot more meaningful, more necessary in my life. Has prayer always felt real to you-all, or do you think that it became real at some point in your life?

Sorry if any of that was incoherent—there are people talking in the hall, and I’m finding it difficult to think clearly.