catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Obama's pastor

anton
Apr 09 2008
02:57 pm

Thanks for those examples of ongoing injustice, Grant. It helps me see where Rev Wright is coming from, and reminds me of the continued need for progress. I admit social justice against blacks is not on my radar screen, given where I live.

Can we recognize the legitimacy of those problems and the need for social justice, and still say that Rev. Wright is not pursuing the right path? Even with greater empathy I can’t see how his message is helpful.

First, from a Christian perspective, his church requires commitment to Christ and to black culture. Isn’t this basically what some Jewish Christians erroneously did in the early church? They were proud of their Jewish heritage, and wanted Christians to be loyal to Christ and to their culture. The early church rightly said this additional requirement wrongly divided the body of Christ. It is enough if someone is Christian without also requiring them to be Jewish.

Second, from a political perspective, Rev Wright draws excessive attention to race, which undermines his call for social justice. Which is it: just vs. unjust or black vs. white? MLK wanted people to be judged not on the color of their skin but the content of their character. It was character he stressed, even though racism was far more rampant in his day. It is one thing to be proud of the color of your skin and another thing to be proud in the kind of way that perpetuates an "us vs. them" attitude. Rev Wright’s rhetoric does not foster a culture of empathy, but tends to harden people into their people groups. Obama recognizes his pastor’s comments aren’t helpful, aren’t part of the solution, and I don’t think it’s just political posturing. Do you disagree?