catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Is God Missing?

Pittsburgh06
Dec 09 2005
10:58 pm

It’s possible that I am just really dumb when it comes to understanding the Bible and all that it entails. But the Trinity concept is one I am having trouble grasping. It just doesn’t make sense to me. In the most simplistic way I can conceptualize it, why, if G-d and Jesus are one in the same, why would G-d send “himself” to earth, then pray to “himself” while on earth, and then die on the cross for us and cry out to “himself” and ask why G-d has forsaken him…if he “is” G-d??. Who does that? It just makes so much more sense that G-d is the one and only and that G-d sent his son, a son who was separate from him…part of him, but separate.

Am I just looking at this too simplistically? I just don’t get it, and it’s frustrating, because it makes me nervous about the validity of the rest of the Bible, because it seems as though it’s all in how one or a group of people interpreted a few words. What about, “Hear O Isreal: The LORD our G-d, the LORD is one. Love the LORD with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.” Deuteronomy 6:4-5. Does this [i:8b0da7b180]not [/i:8b0da7b180]say that G-d is one?

?

I’m feeling really lost in this.