catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

gender-neutral/accurate/inclusive

Matt
Apr 26 2004
08:48 am

Anton, I don’t believe that I said we should love our neighbor above God. However, I do believe that our Lord was very clear on the fact that the way we are to show love to God is in how we love and treat our neighbor. Wouldn’t you agree?

Regarding your second comment: I can’t help but to find it somewhat amusing that a male individual, who is advocating the use of masculine pronouns for God, would choose to accuse others of trying to create God in their own image. I suppose that when all is said and done, we all are guilty of this.

Certainly Jesus did, in fact, tell his disciples that when they prayed to God they might begin with the words "Our Father" (Abba). However, is the only proper way to reference God when we pray – [i:34c09128de]Father[/i:34c09128de]? Certainly you have used other words at times to address God in prayer (i.e. Gracious Lord, Creator God, etc.)? I would agree that these may be less intimate, but certainly not anti-scriptural.

For the record – I am not advocating here that we eliminate the use of the Lord’s Prayer in worship, or change the words from "Our Father" to "Our Parent" or something else. In fact, in my tradition we pray together the Lord’s Prayer every week. However, certain changes to such things as the familiar [i:34c09128de]Gloria In Excelsis[/i:34c09128de] from the traditional words "Glory to God in the highest and peace to His people on earth" to "and peace to God’s people on earth" is changing neither the intent, nor the integrity of Luke 2:14. In fact, this has been done (and is being done) throughout many Roman Catholic and Protestant churches today that choose to use this verse of Scripture as a Hymn of Praise.

As I’ve tried to put forth through much of this discussion, we need to take great care in the way we approach the interpretation of Scripture. Biblical passages do not have authority for our faith and life in isolation from one another. Context is crucial. Individual words and texts must be interpreted in the light of their literary context in which they stand. Bible verses, pulled out of their contexts, can be used to demonstrate almost anything.