catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

gender-neutral/accurate/inclusive

Matt
Apr 22 2004
11:58 am

Although I would not label myself a feminist, I tend to concur with mrsanniep – at least on the one point that she makes about not needing to be told what is denigrating or not denigrating to women. Certainly we are free to select or not to select the roles we feel most comfortable assuming. I do, however, take issue with how we sometime choose to use (or perhaps a more accurate word would be misuse) Scripture.

I believe that even Anton would agree that applying the principle of [i:9bc2f681be]Scripture interprets Scripture [/i:9bc2f681be]requires us to look at different parts of the Bible in different ways. After all, the Bible itself tells us that some of God’s commands are of greater value then others (i.e. Micah 6:8, Matthew 22:37-40, Galatians 5:13-15). Therefore, if we take the Bible’s lead in emphasizing God’s love, mercy and grace in our dealings with one another, it would seem to me that denying someone a certain leadership role in the church today solely on the basis of gender, or negating the calling that God may have chosen to place upon another person’s life (whatever that person’s gender might be), is somehow missing the mark.

To take us back to the original discussion for a moment, I’m compelled now to ask the question: Are we using Scripture in a proper way when we attempt to hinder or get in the way of God being God? If there are those places and settings within today’s culture where church leaders and churches are seeking to introduce an image of God that is both/and (rather than either/or) when it comes to gender identity; or is choosing to be more sensitive and selective in liturgy, music, prayers, etc., by not always referring to God as He, Him, or His – is this being less than faithful to the Bible? Whether we want to admit it or not, there are those both within and outside the church today who find it not only difficult, but sometimes impossible to experience a loving God who is always understood as being male. Are these people not also entitled to hear the Good News too?