catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Favorite Commercials

Adam
Feb 29 2004
07:06 pm

Whoa, this is weird. I was JUST about to say that the Quizno’s ad is easily my favorite right now. Totally offbeat, but in an ultra-quirky brilliant kinda way. You’ve got to have an imagination and appreciate humor that’s sort of a satire of humor itself. I just discovered the guy’s website yesterday from a friend.

Some of the cartoons are crude. BUT—and I do not say this lightly—I have NEVER laughed as hard as watching several of his short (non-crude) musical kitten/gopher/dog cartoons in succession. I’ve had laughs of longer duration, but never have I laughed so hard that my roommate was actually watching me, worriedly, to make sure that I did not pass out. And the boozes I had consumed played only a minor role. I mean it.

Jason: The Nutrigrain ad is totally in the top 5. Friggin’ hilarious. Totally unconventional comedic arc. I’ve been walking around going “I feel GRREATT!” and “BABIESS!”

Some of my favorite ads of all time have also been Canadian. Much music makes stinkin’ funny ads. My favorite:

(Black & White) A guy in a Much Music mascot suit is walking down a downtown street with a friend. They are arguing:
Friend: You screwed up!
MMguy: I did not screw up!
MMguy: How did I screw up?
. . . on like this for awhile, then as they are crossing the street, a car nearly hits the MMguy stopping in front of them. He reacts angrily (Hey! Watchit! Etc.) and hits the car hood. They resume walking. There is a short silence.
MMguy: I did not screw up!
. . . etc.

Maybe I just go for the weird stuff.

Kristin: I hear you on the lame commericals. The ones I hate the most are the insidious ones. Por ejemplo, I think GMC has adopted the slogan, “It’s not more than you deserve, just more than you’re used to.” I’m pretty sure that this translates into Thirdworldese as “I hate poor people.”