catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Would YOU want to be starved? Terri starves now

Stnwall64
Mar 25 2005
12:31 am

Children [i:24a9849d7f]starving[/i:24a9849d7f]? Last I checked no children in the United States had swollen bellies and were dying of malnutrition and easily curable disease. Some children don’t have good, responsible parents in this country, and that is unfortunate, but I pay enough taxes to know that they receive enough welfare checks and healthcare on middle America?s account. We live in a country more blessed with opportunity than any other in the world. You make it sound like our “poor” are on the same level as those in Sudan and the likes. Nobody has died of starvation in this world because nobody cared.

As to the Terri case, I find it disturbing. A brain dead person on life support is no more alive than a corpse. But all this woman needs is just a tube to feed and water her. I know many mentally handicapped people who can’t feed themselves, and certainly their position isn’t desirable. But can you deny their enjoyment of living? Can you deny the joy they bring to their parents lives? I really don’t see the difference in the Terri case. And if we deny this woman the right to live simply because she no longer has a desirable life, I think we would be no better than a group of people who murdered 12 million “unwanted” people 60 years ago. Among them the mentally handicapped. Our imperfections and our acceptance of them are what make us human.

As for the government getting involved, I believe there is a line in the declaration of independence that reads: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are [u:24a9849d7f][i:24a9849d7f][b:24a9849d7f]Life[/b:24a9849d7f][/i:24a9849d7f][/u:24a9849d7f], Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. —[u:24a9849d7f][i:24a9849d7f][b:24a9849d7f]That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed[/b:24a9849d7f][/i:24a9849d7f][/u:24a9849d7f]……Enough said.