catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

sarahwalsh
Feb 15 2002
08:20 am

(I think I finally figured out how to do this)

I was just in D.C. this past weekend learning about the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. If any of you have a few minutes to spare, I URGE you to please please write letters to both of the senators from your state asking them to PLEASE not drill for oil in the ANWR. That oil won’t be available to use until 10 years from now and would only provide 0.3% of our oil “needs”. Drilling in the ANWR is NOT a national security issue-we could easily cut back our petroleum consumption AND dependance on foreign oil by raising the mpg standards for all vehicles. Currently, there are campaigns urging lawmakers to vote to increase gas mileage to 40 mpg by 2012. Then up to 55 mpg by 2020. Did you know that every dollar invested in renewable energy supports two jobs, but every dollar invested into energy, like coal, only supports one job?!

Please write your senators, they will be voting on whether or not to drill within the next week or so. Tell them you care because you are a Christian and you love the things God has made and that we are called to lovingly steward the earth, that it isn’t ours to use as we like. Just because the oil is there doesn’t mean we should drill for it! I’m really fired up right now. Please write!