catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

sex before "marriage"?

randomtrout
Jan 14 2005
12:29 pm

The very fact that this discussion exists at all is significant, in my opinion. The argument is basically either for the tradition (abstaining from sex before marriage) or against that tradition.

Allow me to digress for a moment. 1 Corinthians 11:14-15 reads this way: “Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.”

It seems to me that Paul here is pointing to a cultural norm of the times—a cultural norm that does not exist in our (North American) culture. There are plenty of men that have long hair without disgrace (I, for one) and plenty of women with short hair, again, without disgrace.

If I lived in Mexico, I would probably cut my hair and stop drinking alcohol. Not because I believe those things are sins in themselves, but because culturally, they are unacceptable for a Christian, and thus a sin.

So, what does “culture is not optional” mean for this conversation? I think it’s clear what the cultural norm was, and maybe still is. Are we bound to this?