catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

The Bubble

Norm
Jun 24 2002
10:01 am

BBC beat me to it, but I don’t think we’re all that different, Drama.

Simply stated, I agree that there needs to be a protection provided by parents. We should protect our kids from the mud slinging world.

A couple of things, though—we can’t deny the existence of the mud. One doesn’t have to be in the mud to know it exists, but one has to know it exists to avoid it.
I think BBC’s daughter with the drunken sailors is a good example of protecting and teaching in truth. In that room filled with the tipsy yeomen she is protected by her father while her father shows her what the world is—and how a Christian should react and interact with it. If that’s what a bubble really is, than I’m all for it.

When we don’t teach our children like that, when we keep silent, when we say little more than “no no, honey,” we are protecting our children from the mud, but not teaching them. This is less like a bubble and more like a granite wall. The children are then blinded to the mud. And if they can’t see it, how can they avoid it?

That’s when kids start to think that Muslims hate Americans, and all black people are bad. That’s what we’re trying to avoid, right?

Conclusively, protection from the harmful world while readying children to protect themselves should be what The Bubble is.

Thanks.