catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Questions on film

Denis Haack
Feb 09 2005
04:12 pm

In Critique #9-2004, I listed some questions that I often ask people—if people are willing to respond to them, I’d like it very much. (This is NOT some sort of survey, but merely my interest in understanding the influence of cinema.)
[list:da96a537d6]
:da96a537d6]How often do you/your children/your parents watch movies? If there is a generational difference, why do you think that is?
[
:da96a537d6]What movies most clearly resonated with the deepest yearnings of your heart? How did they achieve that? What characters, in which films, have you identified with most closely?
:da96a537d6]What movies challenged your thinking most deeply? How did they achieve that?
[
:da96a537d6]What film(s) seemed to best capture the essence of your generation? The older/younger generation? Your vocation? Your family/relationships/marriage? Your spirituality?
:da96a537d6]Are there movies you saw which you simply ?didn?t get,? but sensed you should?
[
:da96a537d6]What film(s) moved you most deeply emotionally? Spiritually? Have you ever been led to worship in a movie? Have you ever sensed God?s presence in a film?
:da96a537d6]Has a film ever convicted you that something is wrong in your life and needs to change?
[
:da96a537d6]How has your spiritual pilgrimage been effected by movies? Are there films that forever mark a moment worth remembering in your life?
:da96a537d6]What?s the most number of times you?ve seen a particular film? Why did you watch it so many times?
[
:da96a537d6]Some people say that a movie ?changed their life.? Can you say that? What film(s) and how?
:da96a537d6]Have you ever walked out of a film? Why or why not?
[
:da96a537d6]What films would you be most pleased to have written/directed?
[/list:u:da96a537d6]