catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Let Justice Roll

grant
Oct 15 2004
02:32 pm

I participated in Jim Wallace’s Let Justice Roll bus tour last Sunday and would highly recommend it to everyone. I think they’re heading out East now. It was great to be among other people who are frustrated with not being able to vote for these politicians in good conscience. And I heard an argument for voting there that almost persuaded me to vote this year. But I’m still undecided. Undecided about whether or not I should vote.

Norbert
Oct 15 2004
03:38 pm

I guess I’ve never understood the argument for not voting. Not voting seems like a vote of and for apathy to me. If you don’t like what’s out there, find something else. At least that way, the powers that be will understand that there are thoughtful citizens out there who are unhappy with the bulk of the choices they’ve been given.

laryn
Oct 15 2004
06:29 pm

i’m thinking about writing in my father-in-law. he seems to have all the answers. :)

laurencer
Oct 16 2004
02:33 pm

here’s a link to the let justice roll site: http://www.calltorenewal.org/events/index.cfm/action/bustour.html.

grant
Oct 21 2004
02:50 pm

All the non-voting the last several years is a message that people don’t feel moved to support any of the candidates. The issues are so disconnected from everyday American life. The only way the issues are understandable are through statistics and personal anecdotes that don’t necessarily ring true for everyone—How could they? It’s a big country. Has anyone seen the Rage Against the Machine documentary where the band performed outside the democratic convention 4 years ago? Rage tapped into a growing resentment of politicians who are ruled by money.

When you don’t like either candidate, why vote for the lesser of two evils? Whether the reason is apathy or not, I think plenty of people realize that politics is not where the power is. Do you really believe our government is going to stop terrorism? Or that Kerry will be able to make the situation in Iraq any better? The Plague stopped the Holy Crusades, not the Treaty of Westphalia. Who voted for the Plague?

dan
Oct 21 2004
03:00 pm

Maybe all the non-voting these days means that people today are smarter than they used to be. People used to naively believe that voting makes a difference. I guess we know better now.

Norbert
Oct 21 2004
04:08 pm

That’s a bit too doomsdayish for me Dan. I think voting can make a difference, not in-as-much as we have power to affect change directly, but indirectly I do believe it does make a difference. I guess I’d like to be able to vote against a number of people and then explain why instead of vote for a third party candidate that noone has heard of and nobody cares about.
But, I’m planning on voting for a third party candidate anyway. You told me your opinion on the lesser of two evils grant, and I’m inclined to agree with you, but what about other candidates. True, they don’t have a snowball’s chance, but I like the idea of Kerry and Bush thinking “Hmmm. A million people voted for some guy I never heard of. I wonder why. Maybe I oughta take a look at his viewpoints.”
To me, I think that would be the greatest benefit of voting third party. Not to win or get anywhere close to it, but to bring a bit more attention to what’s important to me. To vote my mind and be in a much smaller demographic where individual votes still may mean something.

Janel
Oct 26 2004
12:48 am

Who’s the lucky third party candidate, Norb? I’ve decided not to vote for Bush or Kerry (just can’t do it in good conscience), so I’m looking for another option. I’m a little disillusioned with Nader, but I’m still considering him. Anybody have any other suggestions?

Norbert
Oct 26 2004
09:34 am

Unfortunately, I don’t know yet Janel. I’ve looked and I don’t think I’ve found anybody that floors me. Unfortunately, Wisconsin has a very limited number of people on our ballot. I may need to write somebody in. I liked Kucinich before he dropped out.
Maybe I’ll write him in.
I don’t know. I’ll keep you posted on what I find, if you’ll do the same for me!