catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

I like U2 about as much

lopez
Apr 27 2005
08:49 pm

I’m not necessarily partial to any of the bands mentioned above, but how are the 12-bar blues riffs that Zep and Jimi relied on more complex than some of the stuff U2 has done (especially the modal changes Edge makes)?

modal changes? i’m tempted to call into question the integrity of that term. especially when it’s employed to make any kind of comparison between the edge and jimi hendrix.

it’s clear that you’ve listened to the edge, but have you ever really listened to jimi hendrix? i don’t mean “foxey lady” and “purple haze”, i’m talking about “hey baby (new rising sun)” and “bold as love”. “machine gun” for crying out loud!! i’m not going to pretend i know exactly what modal changes are, but i’m quite certain that it would not have been a problem for jimi on his worst day. possibly even post-mortem.

the simple fact of the matter is that hendrix could have done anything the edge has ever played on guitar, but the reverse is not true. it’s kind of like comparing batman to superman. batman’s pretty nifty, but he needs all this gear to really kick some ass; while superman is just a natural born crime fighter. so, it’s nice to give the dark night some props because he does his fair share of evil foiling, but he’s obviously no man of steel.