catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Forbes Magazines 100 Most Influential People

SamIam
Jul 14 2002
03:39 pm

While Listening to my pastor this evening, Dr. Joel Nederhood, He spoke about an article that he was reading in Forbes Magazine entitled something like ’America’s 100 Most Influential People’.

This list included many Stars, like Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson, and CEO’s from many large companies, It included politicians and Ex-Politicians such as Bill Clinton but to my dismay and even horror Forbes Magazine named Britney Spears as the Most Influential Person in America.

GULP

This just shows how much Christians are needed in culture.

What do you think about this frightening, but oddly fitting, new figurehead for American Culture?

BBC
Jul 16 2002
02:01 am

Well, first of all, I think I’ll remove Forbes from my list of the 10 most influential magazines….

Actually, though, I think Forbes knew what they were doing — trying to sell papers with shock value. I suppose there are a fair number of people who listen to B.S., but since she doesn’t really have anything to say, it’s hard for me to consider her to be something to get worked up about.

GoDrama
Aug 08 2002
11:13 am

I kind of detest her from the core of my being and find it ridiculously sad that it is feasibly true that she is the most influential person. True she’s not much to talk about (because as you stated BBC she doesn’t have much to say) but when she insists that she is a Christian and should flaunt her body because God gave it to her, it kind of rubs me the wrong way. I also think it’s oddly fitting that her initials are B.S.

Norm
Aug 10 2002
08:19 am

That’s weird.

BBC
Aug 12 2002
02:08 pm

And has it occurred to anybody theat if you rearrange the letters in BRITTNEY SPEARS you get:

SATYR PREENS BIT

REAR SEAT BENT, SYR

SPEB NITS REY SEA

and perhaps most signifcantly:

LACKS TALENT, BARES MIDRIFF, IS MOOSE

grant
Aug 24 2002
05:56 am

I doubt that Britney Spears will have such an extended influence on human history, but I was mildly horrified to see how many people attempted to resemble her during the early auditions on Fox’s “American Idol”. If that tv show is any indication, being B.S. must be the end goal for thousands of young people. That means less doctors, nurses, bus drivers, architects, plumbers, environmentalers in the future. Someone needs to bust up the B.S. monopoly before we have one big nation of entertainers!

DvdSchp
Aug 27 2002
02:52 pm

Or you could look at it this way: millions of young people will try to be pop stars. A few dozen will make it. That means less competition for the good jobs. ;)

And could someone explain to me why people watch American Idol? I hate it.

triciadk
Aug 28 2002
03:50 am

personally, i watch it because justin guarini is SO CUTE.

um. i’m kidding. for those who don’t know.

grant
Aug 28 2002
08:15 am

I am an occasional watcher also and am often impressed with how smart the show is (though it’s gone about two episodes too long; even the performers are sick of it). I’d love to say I only watch it to get a handle on the degraded state of our society or some such Bohemian statement, but I just think it’s a smart show.

The big beef I have with the show has nothing to do with the show itself, but rather the fact that only teen idols deserve to be in such a competition (I would love to see the struggles of construction workers battling it out for the foreman’s job, but I’m afraid that just wouldn’t make good television). I heard Justin’s mom the other night say that she knew her son “was not like the other kids. Even when he was young, we knew he was special”. I know that’s just a Mom thing to say, but that’s really the unfortunate message the show is conveying: because these people were gifted with the ability to look and sound like Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears, they’re “special”. I can’t wait for the days of cloning when everyone can be so special!

BBC
Aug 31 2002
08:26 am

Actually, I think the construction workers battling it out for the foreman’s job thing has a lot of potential. I’d watch.