catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Dreams

Ryan
Dec 12 2002
06:35 pm

I generally don’t have bad dreams—I have a lot of mundane, everyday dreams that are bizarre asortments of old friends, strange places and unlikely circumstaces, but are rarely memorable or scary. Never violent. My most common reaccuring dream is the classic school-with-no-pants-on dream, or variations on that theme. I know there is a classic interpretation of that dream, but I don’t remember what it is right now. Anxiety, I think. I also used have lots of dreams in which there is something I didn’t do but should have—an assignment or science project, etc.—and as a result i am dead meat. My college transcript will attest to how often this dream came true, so that might explain that.

To add to the teeth falling out discussion, I have never had a dream of that sort, but my wife for many years has had dreams in which her teeth all begin to feel terribly loose and fall out one by one. Now every time she flosses she swears her teeth wiggle. strange but true.

All of the my deja vu experiences have seemed really understated—not really prophetic or meaningful at all; an arrangment of people at a table that seems very familiar, a snippet of conversation, the name of a business on a billboard by the highway, all surrounded by this sudden dawning of recognition that makes me go, “Now hold on a second…” So, I don’t know if those images come from dreams but there are certainly coming from somewhere in the subconscious.

long post.