catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

banana man

jo
Sep 05 2003
06:52 pm

I’m not a really integral part of this community, but I still like visiting this site because there’s always something stimulating to read, and even though I know some of the people here from Dordt, I’m not investing a great deal of emotional stock in it.

enok, I think you expect things out of cino that maybe isn’t part of its character or capacity. A web community operates via some strange rules that I haven’t quite figured out myself. It has something to do with the fact that we are all interfacing with a screen and can’t see the whole package of facial expressions and tones of voice that are often a crucial accompaniment to text. And of course every web community is slightly different. Here we have a lot of intellectuals with more of a restrained white midwestern background. I think I can speak for most people here when I say that I don’t feel very comfortable with intensely personal outpourings in such a public forum. We simply don’t know you well enough as a person to be able to respond appropriately. Maybe a group of friends you can talk face to face with would help with things like that.

Throwing out new ideas is excellent. Keep it up. But it’s important to remember the context of the community you are writing to. If the character of this board really disagrees with your style, maybe this particular forum is not for you. Just to qualify one thing though— it’s good to stir the pot too. But you need to make it clear what you’re trying to do if you don’t want to be misunderstood.