catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

angels

ethan
Jan 20 2003
05:11 am

the production is going to be approached using Anne Bogart’s viewpoints, a very postmodern approach to theatre and directing, based much more on movement and relation in space and working off of impulse than the more structured, psychological approach to theatre most of us are accostomed too. The play deals with angels by addressing the very things that you talked about, BBC, the fact that any human approach to portraying angels is going to be flawed, and hoepfully will directly challenge everyone who sees it to really think about what “ANGEL” means. Because this word is everywhere,right? Almost an Angel, Angels in the outfield, Angels in America, You are my special Angel, touched by an angel, angel eyes, angel food cake. Babies are “little angels,” our loved ones are angels. And every single one of those things I just mentioned are unbiblical perceptions of angels. I don’t think that we will put an actor on stage in a white suit wit wings to represent an angel. Actually, the feeling i get right now, and i have no idea what the director wants, but what i would suggest if he asked me, is that Gabriel be dressed in a t-shirt and jeans with a leather jacket, like someone who walked straight out of an Elvis movie. I know we are planning to get images of angels (and everything else we want to address in the production, but we want as wide a variety of angels as possible, so that we can show a slide of a precious moments angel and the next instant show a slide of someones interpreatation of the angels described in Revelation.

that was a bad description of what we want, but i hope it helped some. Basically, i would love anything you can give me, no matter how off the wall or crazy it may seem.