catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

I can't go on

JasonBuursma
Jun 24 2003
04:14 pm

A clarification. None of us will ever fathom all the mysteries of the universe. There is nothing wrong with wondering about certain mysteries and searching for truth. There is something wrong with choosing to doubt something you know to be true.

Obviously, if someone is wrestling with a difficult issue, they need to be encouraged and helped, not condemned for their wrestling (Paul commended the Bereans for their faithful exploration of truth, instead of blind obedience).

But if let’s say I KNOW God is calling me to teach Sunday School and has prepared me and equipped me for that service. But I don’t want to do it because I think adult ministry is more where the prestige is. That is a sin. Of course, Jesus died for my sins and there is no condemnation in Christ Jesus. Maybe I need to be rebuked firmly. Maybe I just need truth and encouragement. Maybe there a spiritual attack against that divine appointment that needs to be dealt with. Regardless, I always have the decision to do what I know God is calling me to do.

In the cases that aren’t so cut and dry, God tells us to lean not on our own understanding, but on him. Not that that’s alwyas easy, but I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t submit my life to God. If I tried to understand and control of everything in my life I would go crazy.