catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

I am ...

kebbie
May 10 2004
02:11 pm

i should check these boards more often! this is the girl who wrote that article.

i’d like to clarify that just because i now (on my best days) call myself a writer doesn’t mean that i have ANY certainty whatsoever what that means for my life. it’s just kind of what i do: in general, i am a writing kind of person. for whom, in what context, whether i actually continue getting published—none of the specifics are clear. in fact, i may end up in a career that DOESN’T involve writing in a direct, job-description kind of way. but i’ll always write, i think. it’s more of a general awareness or acknowledgment of a gift than a career vocation. i just don’t want people to get the idea that at that moment, i knew what i wanted to do with the rest of my life. i didn’t. i still don’t. i’m 24 years old and i’m as lost in the journey as the rest of you. :-)

also, a friend of mine told me that this article was the most pretentious and self-absorbed piece of crap he had ever read. ouch. i felt terrible that somehow, the spirit in which i wrote the piece had not communicated itself—or worse, that i had written it in the wrong spirit. i hope people were able to see past those (deep) flaws to see some truth there.

-kate.