catapult magazine

catapult magazine

discussion

Taste and the Testimony of the Holy Spirit

joelspace
Feb 18 2008
05:18 pm

I like the ‘communal fittingness’ idea. I haven’t read Woltersdorf but I wonder how he explains this in relation to God.

I was just reading the catholic interpretation of 1 Corinthians 12 and it struck me as interesting the way the different expressions of one Spirit is explained.

"To each individual the manifestation of the Spirit is given for some benefit.
To one is given through the Spirit the expression of wisdom; to another the expression of knowledge according to the same Spirit;
to another faith by the same Spirit; to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit;
to another mighty deeds; to another prophecy; to another discernment of spirits; to another varieties of tongues; to another interpretation of tongues.
But one and the same Spirit produces all of these, distributing them individually to each person as he wishes. "

I think this can be applied to any gift. Within music its important to recognize that there is one Spirit but it expresses itself through many different kinds ofcommunities and individuals.

Earlier in the passage Paul says: "Therefore, I tell you that nobody speaking by the spirit of God says, "Jesus be accursed." And no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the holy Spirit."

I think a fundamentalist might get scared at this passage. No wonder they want to take this literally. Its much safer to only sing ‘Jesus is Lord’. That way you know you’re of the holy Spirit. But perhaps they’re faking it and therefore taking The Lord’s name in vain. If all you’re allowed to sing is ‘Jesus is Lord’ I don’t know how you can’t fake it. Not that there’s anything wrong with singing ‘Jesus is Lord’.

I wonder if we might be surprised at what musicians are singing ‘Jesus is Lord’ in their hearts without knowing the Christian articulation of ‘Jesus is Lord’.